Side Effects of Mold Exposure

Side Effects of Mold Exposure

 

Molds grow in the wild and are useful in decomposing decaying matter. However, if the internal environment is contaminated, it can cause various side effects when an individual is exposed to it. Toxic mold exposure may result to various skin disorders, allergies, vascular damage, respiratory problems and other health concerns.

  • Allergy – one of the side effects of mold exposure is allergies. Once you inhaled black mold, this can trigger an allergic reaction that may come in three different types. Type 1 is the least severe among all the types of allergies. This may occur once the spores are digested or inhaled. The symptoms may include sneezing, watery eyes, severe eye itching, congestion and coughing. Type 2 allergies have delayed reactions and this can cause coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath and a feeling of suffocation and tightness of the chest. Type 3 allergy is considered as the most severe and is known as bronchopulmonary mycosis. This condition may occur when the spores has overgrown in the bronchial passages.
  • Fungal Infection – this is another side effect of mold exposure. The infection is due to Aspergillus famigatus and Penicillium marneffei. The fungal infections may affect individuals that are immunocompromised that cannot fight fungal invasion. When these individuals are exposed to high levels of mold, they can develop lung, skin, sinus and digestive infection. In some cases of these infections, affected individuals may experience health issues due to mycotoxins secretions that can be very dangerous to the body.
  • Vascular System – irreparable vascular damage is also a side effect of mold exposure. This is when the veins and arteries become fragile due to various types of mycotoxins like satratoxin, roridins and aflatoxin. This may result to the breakage of the arterial walls and veins, thus leading to internal bleeding.
  • Toxicity – prolonged exposure to mycotoxins may result to serious health issues. Mycotoxins can enter the body through dermal exposure, ingestion and inhalation. Symptoms of mold toxicity include fever, sore throat, headache, and nausea and sinus infection. If left untreated, this condition can be fatal as well.
Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>